|Type of Adventurer||Fighter|
|Manga Debut||Chapter 1|
Keel is the main protagonist of Buster Keel. He is an Adventurer and the fighter of Buster Keel along with Lavie, Mippy, and Blue. He is a Dragon Ape who was turned into a human and is looking for Siva to change him back. He is a student of "Kokushi Musou" Sarah.
Keel is a Dragon Ape with the appearance of someone in his late teens.
In his human form, he has apricot skin, spiky bright orange hair, amber eyes and an intricate black tattoo on both of his arms. He also has slightly prominent canine-like fangs.
He wears a sleeveless, open white vest that has his Adventurer's Badge in the shape of a fist on his right side of his vest and has the word "Funky Monkey" on the left pocket, a red tank top with a skull and his name on the bottom. He sports a pair of black pants and light brown high-calf boots. He also wears many accessories that includes earings, a hair piece with skulls, and the seal that Siva used to seal away his real form.
In his true form, Keel is an abnormally large, extremely muscular Dragon Ape with orange-colored scales, sharp teeth, and has curved horns coming out of his elbows.
At the end of the manga, due to Diabolo's curse being removed from him thanks to Lavie using her Divine Ballad: Holy Ray spell, he is turned into a Monkey Tail. His appearance is similar to his human form, but he now has a monkey tail protruding from his tailbone.
Since Keel is a Dragon Ape, his instinct and behavior are similar to that of wild animals. Keel loves to fight and often gets into fights with Blue. Keel seems to be quite egocentric as when he met Crem he insisted on being called "Keel-sama!" He also seems to disregard logic sometimes. For example, when T-Ross said that Keel's brothers were now Ross's hostages, Keel said that if Ross just released them then everything will be resolved. In spite of his attitude, Keel does care deeply for his friends and family and will become enraged when they are in danger.
Abilities and Powers
Immense Strength: Even in his human form, Keel is strong enough to bend a metal lamp post and shatter and stone statue with his bare hands. He uses both hands in the first issue. When his Dragon Ape Arm is awakened it is further enhanced to tremendous levels.
Immense Endurance: Keel has great durability, making him sturdy enough to shrug off things that would kill a normal human. When he manifest his arm he grows far stronger, the arm is large and durable enough to act as a shield.
Immense Speed: Keel possesses great speed closing large gaps in an instant. Upon acquiring his tail his speed is now at supersonic levels.
Master Hand to Hand Combatant: As a Fighter, Keel is skilled with hand to hand combat. He has shown to be capable of taking on multiple opponents single-handed.
The arm's weight throws off his balance and slows him down. He has somewhat adjusted to the balance issue through training. But his teacher has said that Keel is weaker now with the arm then he was when she first trained him without it. The addition of the tail also acts as a speed booster. Keel is now a level 10 Adventurer.
- Dragon Ape Arm - Keels right arm turns into a giant Dragon hand.
- Invincible Style - Musouu-ryu
Keel was an orphaned Dragon Ape who was taken in by a woman named Lily. He became adopted brothers with Kikazaru, Iwazaru, Mizaru. Keel later found out that she was going to sell them to slavery. But she ended up liking them, but she couldn't betray the organization so she killed herself. Just then Keels brothers came in and thought he killed her. Keel couldn't let them know the truth so he let them think he killed her.
3 years before the current story line Keel was forced into a human form by Siva.
Keel the Burst
When Keel first enters the town looking for Siva he begins by destroying the statue of him that commemorates his defeat over Keel. His search through the town eventually leads him to Lavi. After having a disagreement over monster users using monsters to fight they are interrupted by a group of Lizard Men attacking the town. After finding out that Siva has been missing he takes out his anger on the monsters. Keel and Lavi team up with some other Adventurers to defeat the boss of the Lizard Men that gave them orders. After the boss
reveals himself to be a King Lizard Keel tries to attack him, but fails. The other adventurers flee and when Lavi protects Mippy from an attack Keel decides to help he. He then uses the contract rings along with Lavi's music to restore his right arm to its original Dragon Ape form After revealing that he was originally a Dragon Ape he goes on to defeat the King Lizard. Later he learns that Lavi was Siva's disciple. They decide to form a party because Keel says he doesn't have anything better to do.
Kind of Blue
At the carriage station while waiting for a carriage to Shiton they meet Blue. The carriage is attacked by ogres, but the carriage continues to move causing Blue motion sickness to return until Keel destroys the carriage. When Lavi is about to be attacked by an Ogre Blue defends her to give Keel an opening to defeat it.
Before arriving in the town of Shiton Blue learns of Keel's condition. Once they enter the city Blue splits up from them. They later meet Blue again in the sewer where he was looking for the treasure so Gomeji would provide him with information. They are then attacked by the monster Anaconda. Keel and Blue defeat it so Gomeji can recover his treasure from inside its stomach.
In the Remains of the Adams Lords
After being praised for his ability by the workers Blue agrees to form a party with Keel and Lavi who just recently formed Buster Keel. They were hired by Thomas to get the proof of lordship in the Adam's town's remains so he can become the next head of the Adam's Family instead of Charles. After entering the old town and defeating some weak monsters, Keel is able to defeat the Guardian, but Charles steals the proof. Vamper and Toutan arrive and say that they are going to take it.
Tug of War
While Blue fights Vamper he tells him that they are looking for the Sacred Tresures. Meanwhile Keel squares off against Toutan. Toutan puts up a good fight but is defeated by Keel's Burst Fang. Vamper shows up to fight Keel, but Blue then transforms to beat him.
After Blue beats Vamper, he tells them that there group is called Ayakashi. Thomas then gets the proof of lordship, Thus compleateing the groups first quest as a team.
The group goes to ask Gomeji if he knows anything on the Ayakashi, but he doesnt. Blue then decides to go look for the sacred tresures himself, but Keel convinces him to stay and they add Blues name to the team. As a result of the mission Keel went from a level 0 to a level 10. Buster Keel goes to Sunshine City to find Shiro . As they arrive in Sunshine City Lavi is attacked by a monster user named Steel. A old man shows up and they run away, Keel then ask the man who he is only to find out that its Shiro.
My Funny Crem
While at a town Keel and co. are attacked by Oliqueen Yanxes. All of a sudden she is defeated by two unknown adventures. The two introduce themselves as Albra and Yanxes. Lavi explains that they are powerful, Keel starts getting annoyed so he leaves. While wondering the town he notices a girl being attacked. After saving her she tells him her name is Crem. After talking to her they get something to eat Keel tells her that he is a monster, to which she says that he could never be a monster to her. Crem states that she has to go. Once Keel returns he decides to join Albra and Yanxes on the mission. They explain that they are going to kill a monster named The Bird of Paradise that has been poisoning a hot spring.
After fighting the Bird of Paradise, Keel realizes that the Bird seems familiar, so he decides that he is joining the Bird's side. All of a sudden The Bird of Paradise reveals herself as Crem. Keel then explains that it is Albra and Yanxes that are poisoning the hot springs. Albra then takes out a gourd that sucks up Keel and Lavi spirits. While inside the Gourd Lavi appears naked, a monster named Soul Eater appears and tells her that
your spirit takes the form of when you are born (which means no clothes or weapons). Keel then appears in his true Dragon Ape form and easily beats Soul Eater and escapes the Gourd. Keel and Blue then start fighting against Albra and Yanxes. After Keel and Blue start getting the upper hand, Albra and Yanxes reveal themselves as Gold and Silver.
Trivia+ Tropes that apply to him.
- All of the Other Reindeer: Because of his Dragon Ape status he was avoided by everyone when he was just a boy, which lead to a rather terrible infancy.
- Almighty Janitor: Due to how the Adventurer's system works, he is, for most of the story, a level 0 Fighter(ascended to level 10 by the time of the Eight arc), a level even lower than Lavie's, despite the fact that in his introduction he defeated an A-Class monster with ridicolous ease. In the epilogue, we learn that he's currently lv 50.
- Berserk Button: Has quite a temper, but mentioning Shiva around him is a sure way to get him furious.
- Blow You Away: Downplayed, in that he can use the scales of his Dragon Ape form to expel huge quantities of air from beneath them; rather than use the gusts to attack directly though he uses them to make his attacks faster.
- Boisterous Bruiser: By his own nature, Keel is always eager to fight and elated to partecipate to the tournament in the kingdom of Eight.
- Brought Down to Normal: Shiva's Fuujinka (Human Seal Song) locked away his Dragon Ape powers, reducing him to a normal human form, but he recovers part of his original power thanks to Lavie's songs. By the end of the series Diabolos' curse has been removed as a side effect of Lavie's Holy Ray and it is shown that, as a side effect, he is now a normal Monkey Tail (his appearance is exactly the same as his human form. but he now has a monkey tail protruding from his tailbone).
- Calling Your Attacks: Either attacks named after his "Burst" technique or the techniques of the Musou School.
- Catchphrase: He has two: he'll often say "Funky!" upon winning a battle, and he'll usually threaten his opponents by saying he'll "send them flying".
- Character Development: At the beginning of the series Keel is arrogant, loves fighting and thinks little of humans, preferring monsters over them. His time with Lavie make him gradually evolve in a more heroic figure who's willing to protect humans despite his monstrous nature.
- Declaration of Protection: Right before heading to the final battle with the Shikyou, he swears to protect Lavie
- Demonic Possession: The Dragon Ape form is actually the result of a curse put by the ancient dragon Diabolos on the Monkey Tail clan, which means that Keel is unknowingly carrying the soul of Diabolos within.
- Establishing Character Moment: Is introduced insulting a statue of Shiva, who has just been described as the hero who sealed the Dragon Ape, and breaking the statue in half with a single punch in spite of his scrawny appearence.
- Expy: He has a number of similarities with Natsu Dragoneel, but according to the author he's based on Sun Wukong.
- Fantastic Racism: At the start of the series he thinks little of humans and openly despises them. He gets better.
- Fashionable Asymmetry: For most of the manga he can only transform his right arm into that of the Dragon Ape.
- Fiery Redhead: He has red hair to match his temper and Blood Knight tendencies, though at least he doesn't have fire powers.
- Genre Savvy: When Lavie reads Shiva's journal and finds the page detailing the story and powers of the Dragon Ape, he promptly tears the page out and eats it, to keep his weak points a secret.
- Gratuitous English: All his Dragon Ape abilities are named in English. By contrast, the Gahou is in Japanese.
- The Hero: The main character of the story who gets more focus since chapter 1.
- I Was Beaten by a Girl: Downplayed, but Keel is definitively not happy to learn that not only Kuron the Black Dragon wasn't fighting him seriously, but also that she's actually a young girl.
- Intimidation Demonstration: In his debut, he coerces two thugs into giving him info on Shiva by bending a lightpost by punching it in front of them with a Death Glare.
- It's Personal: He's furious at Shiva for sealing his powers away and forcing him in a human body.
- Jerkass Has a Point: While unnecessarly rude about it, he rightfully points out that Lavie and Mippi are completely unprepared for an adventure early on.
- Lightning Bruiser: His Dragon Ape arms are gigantic, but thanks to the air bursts he can move surprisingly fast to avoid attacks and hit.
- Megaton Punch: For most of the series, his technique involves punching enemies really really hard with his gigantic Dragon Ape arms. A single Gahou carrying the will and spirits of all his friends and allies is what he uses to finally defeat Shiva.
- Monkey King Lite: Being based on Sun Wukong, Keel shares a number of similarities: used to be a powerful, simian-themed creature defeated by a powerful warrior with a divine theme, his necklace has the same ornament as the Golden Circlet and his companions resembles Tripitaka, Zhu Bajie and Sha Wujing. The author mentioned that his Burst Dash technique (in which he shoots steam from the legs to jump) is meant to evoke the Cloud Somersault.
- Partial Transformation: Since his power is sealed, Keel is only able to manifest his Dragon Ape powers in his right arm. As the story progresses he unlocks the other arm and the tail. Goes all out in the final battle against Shiva.
- Pet the Dog: When team Miracolous lose control of their Mecha (damaged by Keel's attack), he goes out of his way to save them both, and even when they're angrily yelled at by the audience he still affirms that they did a good job.
- Poor Communication Kills: Never bothered to clear things up with the Monkey Brothers, causing them to think he murdered their foster mother.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Gives one to Fan, for putting his devotion to his master and his vengeance against the Musou School above his own desires.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni: Dynamic, emotive, loud Red Oni to Blue's... Blue Oni.
- The Reveal: Near the end, the true nature of his Dragon Ape form is explained by Shiva: long ago, the evil Dragon Diabolos fought the Monkey Tail tribe and was slain. As a dying curse, he put a spell on the tribe, so that once every 100 years one of their children would become a "Dragon Ape", carrying his destructive powers and darkness-tainted soul into the world. Should Keel regain his form as he wishes, he'll become a mindless monster.
- The Rival: He develops a fierce rivalry with Blue as the story proceeds.
- Sealed Inside a Person-Shaped Can: The Dragon Ape form is actually a sign that Keel carries the soul of the ancient evil dragon Diabolos inside him.
- Shapeshifter Mode Lock: Thanks to the Heavenly Ring around his neck, Keel is stuck in human form. He can regain parts of his Dragon Ape form
- Supernaturally Delicious and Nutritious: As an S-Class Monster, he's an excellent treat to the Star Eater, which can increase its power by eating powerful monsters and targets him specifically.
- Superpowered Evil Side: The Dragon Ape is actually a result of the curse of the evil Dragon: the more he reverts to his former identity, the more savage and uncontrollable he becomes.
- Tail Slap: The second Dragon Ape feature he manage to release is his tail, allowing him to use it to slap his enemies, maneuver better in midair or to impale them on the spike at the end.
- Trademark Favourite Food: While he's a Big Eater, he adores bananas above all else. To the point that the monster entry for the Dragon Ape suggests using them as a Delicious Distraction to avoid fighting him.
- Unstoppable Rage: When Shiva kills Lavie with one of his black feathers, Keel flies in such a rage he manages to snap the Heavenly Ring and fully transform into a rampaging Dragon Ape. Thankfully, Lavie's soul manage to purify him.
- Keel is based on the character Sun Wukong from The Journey to the West. The both of them have two very similar traits. The first being Sun Wukong is a powerful Monkey God and Keel being a legendary Dragon Ape. The other being they both have a seal placed on them that only their masters can remove.